These pilot projects shall broaden ELG’s portfolio of language technologies. They will develop missing services or solutions that support underrepresented languages.
At the same time, the pilot projects should demonstrate the usefulness of the European Language Grid as a technology platform.
Amounts awarded to a single project will be up to 200,000€, the duration of the projects is expected to be in the 9-12 months range.
SMEs as well as research organisations will be allowed to apply for individual pilot projects.
In case you are interested in participating in the open calls, getting more information, getting involved in the evaluation of the proposals, do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
• published (at ELG
website): 1 March 2020
• project submission period: 1 March – 30 April 2020
• proposal’s evaluation period: May – June 2020
• contract signing: June / July 2020
• project start: July 2020
• project duration: 9 – 12 months
• published: September 2020
• project submission period: September – October 2020
• proposal’s evaluation period: November – December 2020
• contract signing: December 2020 / January 2021
• project start: January 2021
• project duration: 9 – 11 months
Open Call – Key Facts
These open call key facts are also available as a PDF document.
|Objectives of the pilot projects
|| a) Contribute services, tools and/or data sets to the European Language Grid to increase coverage of ELG.
b) Develop applications using language technologies available in the ELG.
Results of the projects shall be made available through the ELG
||From €50.000 (minimum) to €200.000 (maximum amount per project)
Approx. €2.000.000 to be distributed in total
- Only SMEs and research organisations
- Horizon 2020 eligible countries
- One organisation per project only
- Two proposals per applicant will be accepted for evaluation
- Resubmission is allowed in the second call
- Short proposal (approx. 5 – 10 pages, incl. formalities)
- Lightweight procedure
- Objective fit
- Technical approach
- Business, Integration and Dissemination (“BID”) plan
- Budget adequacy
||Four-phase process, consisting of the following activities:
(1) Open call
- published: March 2020
- project submission period: March – April 2020
- project start: July 2020
- project duration: 9 – 12 months
- published: September 2020
- project submission period: September – October 2020
- project start: January 2021
- project duration: 9 – 11 months
||Lump Sum in three payments:
1.50 % after signing the contract
2.35 % after demonstrating the results after the end of activity Experiment
3.15 % after completing the activities Integration and Dissemination
As mentioned above, the first call was published in March 2020, and the second will be published in September 2020.
While the first call reflects the partial completion of the ELG at the time of the call, both calls share the same objectives and procedures. There are two types of projects envisaged that applicants have to categorise their submissions into: application and language technologies (services), which both have to be connected to the ELG.
While the latter will expand the ELG’s offerings (tools, services, datasets), the former demonstrates the use of existing ELG services in downstream applications.
The Pilot Board was set up for the supervision of the pilot projects. It provides a forum so that the ELG project can discuss the progress of the pilots, their intermediate feedback and results.
The Pilot Board is meant to be the main technical and strategic interface between the pilot projects and ELG so that the project can maximise its benefit from supporting the pilots and also to make sure that the pilot projects maximally benefit from the European Language Grid.
Outcome of the Pilot Projects
Pilot projects will add their own services and data sets to the ELG itself to realise an innovative application, most likely together with one client or customer. Furthermore, ELG will gain valuable user feedback from the pilot projects that will use actual ELG services.
The pilots will demonstrate the usefulness of the ELG platform in specific sectors of high commercial or societal impact.
If you are interested in participating in the open calls, receiving more information, getting involved in the evaluation of the proposals, do not hesitate to get in touch with us.